Toilet pan, Rocks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
We have just had custom vinyl flooring (Karndean / Amtico type) laid in the down stairs toilet.
Installing a new toilet on top of the new flooring. When placing the new Pan on the flooring in its intended position there is a slight rocking effect. I guess 2 to 5mm gap. (It is not screwed down yet!) The base of the pan is flat, as I have checked it on a flat surface. The floor must be slightly uneven. I feel I should stop this rocking before screwing to the floor, as this might stress the screws/ holes when fully installed and in use. Any suggestions. Should I sit the pan on a thin bed of cement or something else or try and shim it? I could possibly remove some of the rougher clay surface on the base (where there is no glazing) with a stone??.
Any advice will be welcomed.
Many Thanks. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Use packing to level it up then screw it down. Use bits of hardboard or something like that to pack it out wherever the gaps are.

Hardboard is for school projects, not building. :rolleyes:

Never use it as packing for anything in a bathroom - it will rot and crumble and stop doing its job.

I use strips of plastic DPC material - if you push them a couple of mm under the edge of the pan base then you can put silicone sealant all around the base and hide what might otherwise be an unsightly effect.

Sponsored Links
No Not hardboard!! I was once called to an old persons bungalow with an Elson HW tank in the false roof. The tank had leaked and the hardboard supporting plank had dissolved, and the tank was between joists. When I got there there were two gallant workmen in the loft supporting a large square copper tank with 115L of hot water in it preventing it from descending into the pensioners living room. We drained as much HW as we could and got a WBP ply plank under in the nick of time. :rolleyes:

Never use hardboard where there is water or the likelihood of water.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back