Setting out a garden fence at right angle from house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attempting to put a fence up along a rather large (150ft) garden. The actual fencing process itself I am ok with having completed fencing at the front of the property successfully.

My question is one of setting out. I need to fence to be at a right angle from the house and to extend in a straight line down the garden.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can achieve this? I did think about an infrared laser level or something similar but am not sure if that will do it.

The image below is a top down example of what I am trying to achieve, anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• garden - Copy.JPG
    garden - Copy.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Hi Bernard, thanks for the suggestion. My issue with this method though is how to carry on the measurement to the bottom of the garden.

A string line is stretchy so my measurements are inaccurate. Could I just do this with regular string / twine instead? Or is there a recommended way to extend the line once I have it measured?

Once the 3L base line on the house wall is set then a pair of metal tape measures can be uses for the 4L and 5L

If the ground is level and clear of obstructions then the line can be extended using multiple 3,4,5 triangle and pegs at the ends of the new base line.

upload_2022-5-4_12-16-55.png

Sponsored Links
So do the initial triangle setup and put a stake in the ground, then string line from the house to the end of the garden making sure the string is touching the stake?

Basically, yes.
Also, the romans used a square cross, sideways, mounted on a pole.
Hang a plumb line from the four ends of the cross, so it can be held perfectly level.
A pin in the end of two of the cross ends allows a sighting line to check any posts that you insert along the way.

A Groma

Attachments

• A6F487A9-746D-4454-88D7-8C0C2BA7262F.jpeg
    A6F487A9-746D-4454-88D7-8C0C2BA7262F.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 53
Is the fence going up the middle of the garden?
Bare in mind the existing boundary fences might not be at perfect right angles to the house. So if your new fence is made square to wall then time you get down the bottom you might be miles out.

I always think the main thing is it LOOKS level or square or straight, in relation to everything else. Your eyes can play tricks on you.

Agree,
My house (semi) has one straight fence between me and my joined neighbour.
But because of a bend in the road, the side passage of my non joined neighbour is straight
My side widens out as it goes down the garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back