Setting out ridge tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In November 2021 I had a roofer attend my property to address issues around a water leak around the chimney to the left in the photo. In the conversation prior to the quote he suggested replacing the ridge tiles which I did agree to even though I felt the existing ones just needed to be rebedded near the chimney. He is just now getting back to address this issue which I raised back in 2021 with a whole bunch of other issues like smashed skylights, messy brick pointing and having to educate the roofers onsite about what lime mortar is which had been specified.

The question I have is about setting out. I've never set out ridge tiles so am no expert however when I have done tiling internally one of the things you do is measure the length, work if you need 1 or 2 cuts (assuming non staggered) and have those cut tiles at opposing ends and definitely not next to each other. Looking at other properties in the area I've been unable so far to find a single house where the ridge tiles have 2 cuts next to each other and I'm not sure this is acceptable. The roofer is saying that since I didn't specify this detail he has met the contract on this point. It was not a cheap quote and I had expected better so I'm trying to work out where I stand on this point. This is grade II listed property if that helps.

2022_11_pyl_ridge.PNG

Attachments

• 2009_06_pyl_ridge.PNG
    2009_06_pyl_ridge.PNG
    675.7 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Start at one end with a full tile, lay the tiles, finish at the other end with a full tile, and any cut is the second tile in.

If the cut is less than a half, it's better to have two larger cut tiles as the second and third tile in.

It's not like bathroom or kitchen tiling.

Thanks for the response. So I'm still a little unsure what your view is. Is it industry standard to put the cut tiles as the 2nd & 3rd and therefore I can expect that? Is what my roofer has done by putting the cuts as 1st and 2nd technically inferior?

Sponsored Links
The idea of a full tile on the end only really applies to an apex roof where the tile is exposed, and is intended to make the tile more secure being on the edge.

Now, if there is a chimney on the edge, the end tile is not not susceptible to becoming loose, so it's less of an issue if a cut is put on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back