Setting sleepers in sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Mother's Day everyone.

Several of my neighbours have been setting sleepers in their sloping back gardens and I would quite like to do the same. I can't do it myself due to back issues, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ways to cut costs.

The garden slopes down towards my shed:
Screenshot-2019-10-13-at-22-34-50.png

21-B6-C99-F-B1-D6-47-AA-95-A9-C0-B44-AC9-A32-F.png

I would like to raise the ground near the shed and put some sleepers from left to right so there is a drop down to the shed.

I got a trusted company in to do me a quote and they are quoting £1600 for three days of work, three men, sleeper retainer, topsoil and some additional slabs. Seems a fair price for three people but they are suggesting I have the entire lawn re-turfed as part of this job.

If you see my previous thread, I have spent some time, energy and money on trying to revive my awful garden which had not been cared for well by the building company before I moved in:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/turf-keeps-dying.531235/page-2
And after a lot of work, it is now looking really good and very healthy.

Do I have to have it re-turfed? Is that the best way to get a perfectly level finish? Seems such a shame after putting in so much effort with the lawn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you can afford it then let the company do the work and enjoy the garden this year.

Andy

Looks like we have similar sloping garden but I was quoted £3k in Scotland for the retaining sleepers and leveling...

Planning to do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Looks like we have similar sloping garden but I was quoted £3k in Scotland for the retaining sleepers and leveling...

Planning to do it myself.
I do think it would look nice to do it and looks like I did get a good price although sleepers not included. I am just a little gutted about having to have the lawn pulled up and re-turfed after so much work trying to make it healthy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back