Setting sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a small retaining wall in the garden.

Making it out of sleepers, set on their side. it's only 60cms high and I'm setting them about 5cm down in the ground.

My only worry is whether their weight will be enough to secure it? Or do I need a few batons behind or some of those mega long 300mm timber screws to join everything together?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
you need to use a sleeper or fence post set vertically in concrete, then screw the sleepers to this with long timberlok type screws

Just finished a sleeper wall, about 2ft high, which when finished will retain a patio.

Use 4 ft 4x4 fence posts behind, so half concreted in to the ground and used external coach screws tocfis the spleepers in place.

I fixed through the front of the sleepers as I wanted the head of the screws to show but could have fixed from the rear.

Perhaps I have overdone it with the length of the fence posts, but have a solid wall that isn't going anywhere!

Thanks guys - will go the posts behind.

just three more questions!

- Is it right that I have to shift each sleeper about half an inch backwards so it's leaning into the slope?

- Do I leave gaps in between the sleepers for drainage?

- As well as fixing the sleepers to the posts do I also have to fit them to each other as well?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I just set the post at a very slight incline, hardly anything.

No need to leave gaps for drainage but i usually leave a tiny one as it improves the look in my opinion.

I'ts not really neccessary to screw them too each other but for the time it takes why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back