setting up email on new laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please :)

I have got a new laptop for my better half and wish to set it up so it receives her email which currently comes to our desktop.
We both have seperate email addresses.
We have wireless internet in the house and the new pc and the desktop is hard wired.
Help and patience much sought after and appreciated

Sponsored Links
You have the laptop online and can get on the internet etc?

You have an email client like Outlook or Outlook Express installed on the laptop? Others are available like Thunderbird etc...

Do you have the settings required to set up an email address? Username, password, incomming and outgoing server details etc. Is it a POP3 mailbox? Or a webmail service like gmail?

Once you have the above bits then it should be an easy matter to set it up :)

hi safara

yes new laptop online. i will have a look in a moment to see if outlook is installed.

Hokay - and then if you have the settings to hand, a case of setting up Outlook or similar to use the details.

Sponsored Links
no outlook im afraid on the new pc. also what settings will be needed :?:

OK, is the email address for your better half a web based account like hotmail or googlemail? If so, for now you can just log into the via a web browser.

Or is it a POP3 mailbox? Maybe from your Internet Service Provider (like btconnect etc) or for your domain name. Both of these should have webmail facilities as well.

But if you want to set it up on a local email client - usually Outlook, but can use others like Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ then you will need the server settings to get it set up.

Something like the Incoming mail server and outgoing mail server (usually something like mail.yourdomain.com and smtp.yourdomain.com)

Then have the user details. A username and password for the mailbox.

Once you have these things, probably ask your provider for the details if you dont have them to hand, then you can get it set up.

I am heading off to my book now, but if no-one else has chipped in, I will be back tomorrow evening :)

You need to look for 'windows mail' then.

What provider is the email with? Bt, hotmail etc?

Sponsored Links
Back