Sewage type smell in top floor en suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a large victorian property which contains several en suites spread over 3 floors.

On the top floor in one of the en suites we are experiancing a sewarage type smell. It is not there all the time but does occur even when the en suite has not been used.

connecting pipework running into the same pipe consists (as far as we can work out- the property is a very complicated one) is a sink located within the affected room but not in the en suite and fairly sure not where the smell is coming from, and a shower, also connected is another sink located in a differant room with quite a long run of pipe. There is also a toilet - but again are fairly sure this is connected via a differant pipe.

We have been battling with this problem for some time and have tried many thins - we now have anti vac traps on both sinks, have replaced the air admittance valve and replaced the shower trap.

I have read about self sealing waste valves and wondered if this might be worth a try as well - but where is the best place to fit it - to the shower where it is possible the smell is occuring or to the sinks

any advice or help would be much appreciated as we are running out of ideas

Sponsored Links
Hep V O waste valves are what you heard of :idea: they can be fitted to all your wastes - tho` as a plumber I`d chuck the aav on the soil pipe and make it into a proper vent - but then I don`t have to pay labour costs - just re done my whole bathroom for £500 including the new vinyl floor :p jacuzzi corner bath power shower and new cubicle , wc and vanity unit. etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back