Sewer Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm hoping to build a new garage at the end of my garden next year, to replace an aging corrugated sheet construction. The garden leads into a lane that is shared by all houses in the street.

I have a potential problem. When I bought my house a few years ago, we were told that the searches showed there was a public sewer running across the middle of our garden, going the length of the street. I have a copy of the sewer map and this is indeed the case.

I have 2 ICs alongside my house, where a waste joins the drain pipe, and I'd always assumed that this then fed to the main sewer in the middle of the garden. However, I've also got an IC right at the end of the garden, which feeds off into the lane. This seems to suggest that the public sewer isn't in my garden at all, and is in fact outside my boundary somewhere.

I contacted the local sewerage undertaker, and they've put a request for a sewere trace in (this was because at first I thought my drain was a shared drain, and as its a 1930 house, would be S24, this seems not the be the case - my neighbours don't seem to feed into it). They said that the maps they have aren't terribly accurate.

What's worrying me now, is if the public sewer is outside my property, it could literally be the other side of my garden wall, which would probably prevent me ever building to my boundary.

Are they likely to locate the public sewer when they do the trace, or will they just confirm that my drain is not public and end their interest there? Anyone come across something similar?

Sponsored Links
I hope for your sake that you are not in the West Country, South West Water are the most arragent company I have ever come across.

Southern aren`t much better :LOL: . I moved into my present house that fronts an unadopted road . Half the places here haven`t got sewerage let alone a storm sewer - so when I asked for a refund of the charge for my rainwater , and got the usual computer spewed drivel . I was loving the thought of a battle :LOL: But when I spoke to someone in person they knew full well that there never has been a storm sewer in this road :rolleyes: Just feel sorry for all the previous owners of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back