building within 3m of public sewer

Sponsored Links
Today i have had a pre build drain inspection in order to confirm the location of the sewer which is shown on the drainage map provided by Southern Water,
It turns out that the sewer shown on their map, running parallel to my proposed extension inside my neighbours boundary is non-existent.
My drainage joins the public sewer approximately 20m from the rear of my property, the sewer then falls to the right for at least 30m more.
I haven't had the report back yet but this is just from speaking with the guy doing the survey, is this normal for the sewer map to be so wrong?
At my daughters house the official map shown on the left in green, what we eventually found in red. Note the chamber in the middle of the road circled in red was there but nothing connected to it
upload_2021-1-21_14-54-26-png.219456

We eventually got the drainage plan back after three weeks and i'm very happy to say that it does indeed confirm that there is not a public sewer within 3m of our proposed extension. While i'm glad that we didn't have to shell out for a build over and anything else that goes with it i can't help but feel a little irritated that i had to cough up £300 to show that the sewer plan is wrong.
We've also got an independent building inspector on board and have the green light to get started.
Had a friend organise a mini excavator for the bank holiday weekend so looking forward to getting started, we are hoping to dig out for the floor slab and get the type 1 down, dig footings and move the existing manhole. I'm currently trying to organise 10t of type 1 for delivery before next weekend, good lord is this stuff expensive.
Oh and i was planning on using Metsec for the roof joists as it has better spanning performance than timber and is also cheaper, not sure if using galv rails is acceptable but can't see why not, but found out recently that there's a 12 week lead time. I may have to have a re-think on that.

Sponsored Links
Can you get the MOT1 dropped off via a grab lorry? Got mine for £32 / T ex vat..

We eventually got the drainage plan back after three weeks and i'm very happy to say that it does indeed confirm that there is not a public sewer within 3m of our proposed extension. While i'm glad that we didn't have to shell out for a build over and anything else that goes with it i can't help but feel a little irritated that i had to cough up £300 to show that the sewer plan is wrong.
We've also got an independent building inspector on board and have the green light to get started.
Had a friend organise a mini excavator for the bank holiday weekend so looking forward to getting started, we are hoping to dig out for the floor slab and get the type 1 down, dig footings and move the existing manhole. I'm currently trying to organise 10t of type 1 for delivery before next weekend, good lord is this stuff expensive.
Oh and i was planning on using Metsec for the roof joists as it has better spanning performance than timber and is also cheaper, not sure if using galv rails is acceptable but can't see why not, but found out recently that there's a 12 week lead time. I may have to have a re-think on that.

Can you get the MOT1 dropped off via a grab lorry? Got mine for £32 / T ex vat..
I did consider having it delivered loose but i need to keep it under control due to needing to keep space for parking on the drive.
With the bags i can hopefully have it stacked and still be able to use the drive.

I did consider having it delivered loose but i need to keep it under control due to needing to keep space for parking on the drive.
With the bags i can hopefully have it stacked and still be able to use the drive.

I was surprised how small a pile 10T was! Its difficult to get it out the bags too!

I was surprised how small a pile 10T was! Its difficult to get it out the bags too!
True, but we ended up digging it out with the excavator. it didn't go too badly and shifted most of the type 1 through to the rear.

I had a delivery from Wickes turn up Saturday but the driver was clearly having a bad day, He had 3 bags of pea shingle so i asked if he could suspend the first bag over a couple of barrows while i split it just to save a little time. he wasn't keen so i asked to just drop them all on the driveway. He was only willing to drop one on the drive and the other two on the public footpath, I couldn't understand why he couldn't drop all three on the drive but he wasn't keen because of overhead wires. Quite why he could drop one but not all three i don't understand but after a few moments i ended up telling him to take it away so now i don't have my pea shingle.
Then this morning, Sunday, one of the neighbours stuck their head over the fence and complained that we were working on a Sunday, i started to question with him whether what i was doing was considered construction or Diy but decided it was best to keep the peace and agreed to stop, i don't want to upset them as they could make things difficult further down the line.

Gents, I have recently come across some free unused Metsec cee rails, spec is 142c15 and having checked with building inspector i can use these as flat roof joists in my extension, could anyone advise whether my intended way of connecting them to the wall is ok. i have a theory of using a 150deep channel fixed at 400 centres, with 100mm m12 chemi anchors to the internal thermalite blocks. Is this ok as the channel fixed to the new wall would be approx 250 down from top of the blockwork, also this would mean bolting into thermalite blocks directly sitting on a 3metre long lintel above a bifold door with a single course above.

I don't have proper drawings for anyone that can advise but i have sketched my intentions.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• CCF_000064.pdf
    335.1 KB · Views: 97

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back