Sewer pipes through footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post so here goes.
We have started to dig footings for our 2 storey side extensions. The plans we had drawn up show the sewer pipe running from manhole to manhole, but as we were digging we found the foul pipe bypasses the manhole we thought it's supposed to go to and runs out into the road which means the pipe is running right in the middle of where the footings will be got over 2 meters. As we were investigating we have found another clay pipe which is coming from our neighbours property, which comes into the footings area and then goes back across his boundary (ffs) and disappears under some trees. Our question is what is the best solution. I've put a drawing of it up but I'm not sure it I've done it right. Thanks Neil.

Attachments

• 20170603_213408.jpg
    20170603_213408.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
The routing for your neighbours rainwater seems very unlikely - are you sure you've traced it correctly?

If your diagram is correct and the sewer serves several house then it will have been "adopted" by the local water company and they are responsible for it. You need to get the water company involved now before you build over the sewer.

The storm system (including the IC) on your side I would completely redesign so that it works for the extension. Probably shift the existing IC further downstream towards the road and include another IC way over to left so as to straighten the existing storm drain.

This would make room for a new foul IC in place of the old storm fella so as to straighten the foul sewer. In other words the new IC acts as a kind of dog leg so that the pipes are easier to manage under the building. Either that or reduce the width of the building so that the sewer (and chamber) can be extended along the rear elevation and remain outside the building footprint. This would also mean another chamber at the front and closer to the boundary further down stream.

At lot of the above depends upon the existing depth of the drains. My guess is that they are going to be awkward and deep.

The routing for your neighbours rainwater seems very unlikely - are you sure you've traced it correctly?
I agree with this.

Sponsored Links
You'll need a build over agreement with the water company. Building control should not let the work carry on without one.

Thanks for the replys. The pipes are only 600mm down. We have had a cctv and are waiting for the report so we can get buildover agreement.

I reckon that runs into your front IC or used to. Perhaps there was a flooding or level issue or something and this was the solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back