Sewers required.... (From The New Statesman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think of the internet like an early modern city, which created more efficient, productive communities by bringing people together into close proximity, but also allowed germs to spread unchecked. For germs, read disinformation, or vitriol. What saved the city? Sewers. Our political conversation needs their modern equivalent.

Sponsored Links
Think of the internet like an early modern city, which created more efficient, productive communities by bringing people together into close proximity, but also allowed germs to spread unchecked. For germs, read disinformation, or vitriol. What saved the city? Sewers. Our political conversation needs their modern equivalent.
So keep all the sh*t stuff hidden?

Manure.. An interesting fact.

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) ,…………. “So it’s really not a swear word”
which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I

Sponsored Links
Manure.. An interesting fact.

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.
It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) ,…………. “So it’s really not a swear word”
which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I
I'm afraid that's untrue.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-shi3.htm

"The true origin is the Old English scitte, diarrhoea, which is related to Dutch schijten, and German scheissen. (My late father-in-law, visiting Germany as a young man, once tried to explain to his hosts that some farmers had been shooting pigeons over the house. Sadly, the German verb “to shoot” is schiessen and he got the vowel wrong. Mutual embarrassment ensued.)

We are a little mealy-mouthed these days about the word, one of those classic Anglo-Saxon four-letter words, even though it is among the most common expletives known. When it first appeared, though, there were no negative or vulgar associations about it."

No, just stop you posting :ROFLMAO:

Oh thats the same thing :mrgreen:
I think more accurately it could be described as a way to avoid answering awkward questions by censorship...

Something I have to admit you are rather good at (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back