1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

sewing machine speed control

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by SparkyTris, 29 Oct 2019.

1. SparkyTris

SparkyTris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I opened up a 1970s vintage sewing machine treadle the other day expecting to find some triac type chopper controller but instead found a weird plunger type of thing with what looks like carbon rods either side.

what's the mechanism?

I guess I should post a pic but its in the shed and I cant be bothered to at the moment

2. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many old sewing machines it was a simple resistor, Phaff was one of the first with electronic control, that was mid 80's.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. SparkyTris

SparkyTris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a simple resistor eh?
    what about a complicated resistor?
    Guess this must be something like that. a pressure-varying resistor I suppose. don't they get a bit hot?

5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just a variable resistance. Well worth the effort of converting one to a modern triac control.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links