shadows on painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... i painted my hall wall at the bottom of the stairs in dulux silk using a roller, when the paint dried if you looked at the wall from a certain angle there were shadows on the wall. i told someone about this and they said it should be done in dulux matt that would cure the shadows. i have done this but there are still shadows on the wall. can anyone help.
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Just a DIY'er, So obviously wait for the Pros....... but...
I had this happen before and I was informed (by a man at Brewers) That I was either A) Taking too long to paint the wall, so losing the wet edge. Or B) Paint needed thinning a bit to help stop a textured affect showing.

I rubbed the walls in question with v.fine paper, applied another (thinned) coat... problem solved.

As I said though, wait for the pro's before I lead you up the garden path :LOL:

i would also be interested in this answer as I have roller applied 3 fine coats of matt and still have shadows..... so then applied a thick layer with a brush and its a bit better but still not quite right. I was thinking it was maybe not even enough. But havent got a clue. I never thought applying magnolia would be such a pain in the ass. unless im being too picky the misses thinks it looks fine.....

So called shadows with regard to the application of an emulsion paint will frankly be due to both incorrect application and technique, also the choice of sleeve is important. To apply an emulsion paint over a plaster skim surface you should use a medium pile, applying to much pressure to the roller will cause it to slide and this in effect will offer a patchy finish, and you should always finish with light upward strokes removing the roller whilst it is still spinning.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I think Thedec is right as to the direction of the roller. you cant just roller in different directions it needs to be up and down, slightly overlapping each time and keeping a wet edge.
Occasionally it may be down to the surface not being to flat and having slight dips in it that are catching the light as you look down the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back