'Shadowy' paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I really hope someone can help me......

I am painting my house at the moment...most of the walls are going to be white. The paint on the walls look fine until I turn the lights on or there is direct sunlight shining on the wall when 'shadows' appear in the paint.

I have been using Crown emulsion and have also used B&Q basecoat and Ronseal basecoat but all to no effect. Some walls I must have painted 7-8 times now so I must be doing something wrong...

Possibly the problem is that i didn't do a mist coat first?

Any advise?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could be a number of things, uneven plastering can be the biggest culprit, offer up the longest straight edge you can find and see if it sits tightly against the wall, if it doesn't then uneven plaster will create shadow.

Technique plays a part as well, you wouldn't need a mist coat unless its new plaster. If you want to start again apply a coat of zinsser gardz, this will seal the wall and basically give you a blank template to start again with.

Thanks mate....sorry I should have said that it was new skim coat plaster that I was painting

I will check the walls with a straight edge as you suggest.

Will the zinsser gardz be of any use if the plaster turns out not to be straight or will I just have to live with the shadows?

Thanks again

Could be that as there has been no mist coat then the plaster has absorbed the paint in some places but not all. dcdec I'm sure will offer you the best solution, he knows his products well.

Sponsored Links
Ah, no mist coat pigeon is right the plaster will have absorbed paint unevenly. Still worth checking with a straight edge as it could be a factor. You're lucky that the first coat didn't flake, still use the gardz though as it will seal off existing coatings.

If the plaster is uneven use the straight edge (or shine an inspection lamp down it) to mark on the wall where it dips then fill these areas with a lightweight filler like red devil or make up some easy fill, rub down when dry and spot prime with the gardz or diluted emulsion (around 25-30%).

When you apply your paint work methodically and quickly i.e. up and down no more than two roller widths (depending on size of the wall), don't over work the roller as soon as you have to start pressing hard reload but before doing so back roll what you have done in one direction i.e. top to bottom using very light pressure and make sure the roller is still spinning when it leaves the wall. I prefer a short pile sleeve on smooth walls but medium can be ok but don't use a long pile.

Thanks a lot.....can you buy zinsser gardz in shops (i have checked B&Q, screwfix etc and not found it) or will I have to order it online?

Cheers

Hi again..thanks a lot for that.

Last question hopefully (for now..) once I have applied the zinsser do i need to mist coat or just emulsion?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back