Shared Gas Meter Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies first of all if this is posted in the incorrect forum.

I stay in a maisonette flat which is part of a block of 12 flats. I have a neighbour below me with a line of garage along the ground floor.

We used to have storage heaters as our heating source, however, a few of the neighbours applied for a grant and we successfully got mains gas installed into our garden. My neighbour downstairs has just had gas central heating installed into his flat, and the results have impressed me so much that Im looking to do the same thing with my flat.

It would appear though that we only have one gas meter box for the two of us. Is it possible to have one meter box between two flats with two meters within it? If not, how easy is it to have a second meter box installed next to this one, and would this involved excavation of the mains gas supply?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
'Normal' domestic meter boxes are designed (and have room for) a single meter, so I would expect you'd need your 'own' meter box, but these are easily fitted to the surface of a suitable wall in most cases. You will need an independent service pipe running from the gas main to the meter position, be warned this may not come cheap though. From the meter position your Gas Engineer can run the supply into the property, National grid will fit the meter.

Thanks for responding. I don't understand why they installed a meter box which can only hold one meter when there are two flats - it would appear they have done the same thing for the rest of the flats (we have the semi buried meter boxes).

Sponsored Links
the reason is as you have been correctly advised, if you had enquired at the same time as your neighbour then you might have saved some money, as it stands you will have to have your own new meter box installed, in Renfrewshire will probably be SGN rather than National grid

fair enough, I can take that point on board. The neighbours who have had the installation done already (4 of the 12 flats) were entitled to a government grant (mainly due to their age) - I couldnt afford such a cost straight away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back