shared water supply broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a shared water supply with our neighbours.
The pipe runs through our garden / house and then goes next door.
The section going next door has now got a leak.
Who is responsible for fixing this? do we both have to share the cost or is my neighbour responsible as the section leaking only supplies his house?
This neighbour is not an easy person to deal with so I'd rather know what my rights are before barging in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
WOuldn't trust us lot then - ask your water supplier!

The section used by both of you is a shared responsibility BUT its often difficult to get the next persion to contribute because he knows you are going to get it done anyway!

The part only supplying him is solely his responsibility but you must allow him access if thats on your land. He should make a "reasonable" reinstatement of the land after the excavation but not to make it look like before as in diging up the lawn for example.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The section used by both of you is a shared responsibility BUT its often difficult to get the next persion to contribute because he knows you are going to get it done anyway!

The part only supplying him is solely his responsibility but you must allow him access if thats on your land. He should make a "reasonable" reinstatement of the land after the excavation but not to make it look like before as in diging up the lawn for example.

Tony

I don't know what is the best approach to take.
I could get itn fixed via insurance but this would increase my premium and I don't think this is fair if he is responsible.

I wonder if my insurance could claim from him without increasing the premium. I don't want to make it overcomplicated but I can see me, my n, and two insurance companies involved in the dispute....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back