Shared water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to get an answer to the following, I am being asked via text and not sure of all the info.
Terraced house, shared cold inlet, neighbours have turned it off for unknown reason leaving vulnerable person with no water.
Water board have said a permanent solution is chargeable, I assume separating the supplies.
Does this sound right.
Can one person stop a neighbour access to water even if temporarily

Sponsored Links
Legally everyone has a right to a water supply. Therefore if you neighbour has the controlling stop tap then legally they have to have the approval of everyone served by that mains to turn it off for any extended period of time without reason. That and if there is any work to be performed on the mains then everyone is responsible for it financially.

I'm very surprised that the water transporter hasn't taken a stance as far as that is concerned as the legal requirement for supply water lies with them if everyone is paying for the service.

I'd check the deeds of the houses on the shared main, if it was like that from the start then it would be specified in them. If it isn't then it's been a bodged job performed somewhere down the line and the supplier may not be legally obliged. It is true though that if the others want to have their own supply they will have to pay for it to be separated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back