sharpening/honing stone

Three things;

Thing one, use a good stone, Norton India stones are the best and not that expensive.

Thing two, lubricate generously, wd40 or similar is about the best.

Thing three, learn to use a stone correctly, don't just rub like poo in the middle, start at the bottom end and do 2 or 3 circular motions, then up the stone, and do 2 or 3 circular motions at the top of the stone, then back down to the bottom, and repeat the process, doing it this way will keep the stone dead flat, and hence your tools super sharp.

Sponsored Links
I have the same issue! I have been given an old and good quality India stone with a large hollow in the center,

I attempyed to re-dress as I too was informed I could on an old conrete slab, an hour later it hadn't touched it ):

as i said get some very corse wet & dry paper to start of with on a flat surface like a pane of glass, and it will soon be flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back