Sharpening TCT circular saw blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 x 12" TCT saw blades that I use for joinery & cutting firewood. I sharpen them using mini 3" diamond sharpening tools normally used for sharpening chisels. These are on ebay for about £1 each. I manage to sharpen 1 blade with 1 sharpener but it takes about 1 hour.

Just wondering if anyone has a better idea?

Mike

Sponsored Links
I find they tend to go out of balance if I fiddle, so I send mine (or used to) to a saw doctor - they would braze new teeth in if necessary and sharpen. When the blade was put back in it was almost silent.
These days I buy new ones - but don't go through many.
John :)

As Merlin says,,, find a saw doctor nearby. Expect to pay £10-£15 per blade for sharpening though, but when they come back, they'll whip through timber like a hot knife through butter. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies,

I have taken my blades to saw doctors many times when I used to pay £40 for a blade. Now new blades are £10 it does not seem to make sence to pay upwards of £10 plus 2 x 30 mile round trips to have an old blade sharpened.

Additionally all my blades have broken teeth and the saw doctor refuses to sharpen them unless they are replaced. I think new teeth are about £3 each which could easily add £15 to the cost.

The blades are OK for my purposes when I sharpen them myself but I wondered if anyone had found any diamond grinding wheels to fit a Dremmel/Black & Decker?

Mike

I've just had a 305dia x 80T TCT DeWalt blade sharpened for £14.40. Dropped it into my local builders merchant/timber yard (Ray Graham in Newtownards NI) last Wednesday and picked it up after a week. Oh, and whilst there bought 2 lambsfoot pocket knives for £5.95 each (Rosewood handles!!!) ... they'll make great Chrissy prezzies.

Thanks for replies,

I have taken my blades to saw doctors many times when I used to pay £40 for a blade. Now new blades are £10 it does not seem to make sence to pay upwards of £10 plus 2 x 30 mile round trips to have an old blade sharpened.

Additionally all my blades have broken teeth and the saw doctor refuses to sharpen them unless they are replaced. I think new teeth are about £3 each which could easily add £15 to the cost.

The blades are OK for my purposes when I sharpen them myself but I wondered if anyone had found any diamond grinding wheels to fit a Dremmel/Black & Decker?

Mike

Yes, quite agree. Have been looking for other methods too. Found this US-550 PRO UNIVERSAL SHARPENER that does router cutters too but it's outrageously expensive. Seems simple enough though. Let me know if you find a better method.

My sharpener charges 12p A TIP. For this the blade goes into a CNC grinder which will resharpen the blades in some cases better than new (and I use Festool blades, amongst others). For any reasonable quality work it simply isn't worth butchering a blade yourself as the results will be at best mediocre and at worst downright dangerous

it simply isn't worth butchering a blade yourself as the results will be at best mediocre and at worst downright dangerous[/quote said:
No shame in that. Not everyone is practically inclined.

Just had 9 tct blades back from the saw doctor and two of them are marked scrap.
About three tips gone in each blade.

I've just removed three tips from one blade and silver soldered them into the other one and is now going back to the saw doctor to be sharpened. :D

Induction brazing is the process I believe but I just used oxy/ acetylene and cooled the tips in engine oil.
I'm real happy with the result though. :mrgreen:

Just have a few tct blades back from the saw doctor and two of them are marked scrap.
About three tips gone in each blade.

I've just removed three tips from one blade and silver soldered them into the other one and are now going back to the saw doctor to be sharpened. :D

Induction brazing is the process I believe but I just used oxy/ acetylene and cooled the tips in engine oil.
I'm real happy with the result though. :mrgreen:

NOW THERE'S INGENUITY FOR YOU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back