Shataff toilet spray

Will this device not create a "faecal aerosol effect" for want of a better way of putting it?

Sponsored Links
Will this device not create a "faecal aerosol effect" for want of a better way of putting it?

Don't worry, I hold my breath.

But won't anyone address my genuine question I put earlier? I'm not trying to catch anyone out, and I freely admit that most people on here know a great deal more about the subject than I. Please, educate me.

No. Because the OP knows better.

No, I'm not claiming to know better than you people. I am, though, asking for an explanation so that I might know what actually happens. I'm sure the rules are there for a reason.

Still, if no-one wants to help, I suppose I shall just have to let the matter drop (no pun intended!). Sorry to have troubled you.

Sponsored Links
Very entertaining thread. Enjoyed it immensely.

JBR, the water regulations are there to provide protection for all of us and have to be based on a worst case scenario. It is true that under normal circumstances there would be no backflow through your Shatoff. If however, the water supply becomes de-pressurised due to being shut off or leakage, a reverse flow could happen.

The contents of toilet bowls are classed as the most severe, category 5 contamination and therefore carry the most stringent backflow prevention requirements. It is not enough to say that you would keep the spray head clean and not leave it dangling in the bog. However unlikely, there are circumstances where the spray head could end up in contaminated water.

A lot of domestic plumbing, including showers, contravenes regulations either because its old or installed by people who don't know or care. This does not mean that we can disregard the regs in the future.

No-one on here can stop you doing what you like in your own house but we have to advise that you do things correctly. If you have the attitude that the regulations should not apply to you because you are not the idiot they were designed for, you will get the comments you deserve.

Aerosolising faecal matter - nice.

Another one of my pet hates is flushing the loo with the lid up. Ideal (I think) did a video showing what happens to the contents of the bowl when the bog is flushed with the lid up.

Certainly changes one's perspective. Having completed my bathroom summer, I made it so that you can't flush the loo with the lid up.

Yeah I try and get in the habit of it. Luckily the toothbrushes and basin are at the other end of bathroom :D

Very entertaining thread. Enjoyed it immensely.

JBR, the water regulations are there to provide protection for all of us and have to be based on a worst case scenario. It is true that under normal circumstances there would be no backflow through your Shatoff. If however, the water supply becomes de-pressurised due to being shut off or leakage, a reverse flow could happen.

The contents of toilet bowls are classed as the most severe, category 5 contamination and therefore carry the most stringent backflow prevention requirements. It is not enough to say that you would keep the spray head clean and not leave it dangling in the bog. However unlikely, there are circumstances where the spray head could end up in contaminated water.

A lot of domestic plumbing, including showers, contravenes regulations either because its old or installed by people who don't know or care. This does not mean that we can disregard the regs in the future.

No-one on here can stop you doing what you like in your own house but we have to advise that you do things correctly. If you have the attitude that the regulations should not apply to you because you are not the idiot they were designed for, you will get the comments you deserve.

Thanks for taking my request seriously, and the section in bold is the explanation I was seeking and, of course, accept.

I apologise if I gave the impression that I feel I am above the law/rules. As it happens, and I think I mentioned it earlier, although the spray head will reach far enough to allow water to be sprayed into the toilet bowl, it does not reach far enough to allow the spray head to sit in, or even to come into contact with, the water. I hope this is safe.

But it could still touch the side of the china no? You say you have no intention of dangling it in the toilet which is fine, but you are human and as such you can't tell me that you have never accidentally dropped something, which is the most likely scenario of your ****off ending up in the bog. It only takes a small amount of bacteria to contaminate a supply.
If you have stubborn skid marks I suggest a steam cleaner for cleaning the bog very handy bit of kit :cool:

OK, I'll disconnect it right away and dispose of it.

Isn't there bidet sprays without the spray aspect? Just have it with water flowing out as if out of a tube?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back