Shattered Plaster - who's right?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hope someone can advise in a small disagreement between the builder of my house and me.

I am putting up a curtain rail into the ceiling of a bay window. I've put up many others around the house and all has been fine. With this one, I drilled the holes ok, stopping when i reached the lintel. I then put the rawl plugs in, whic also went ok. Then when i started to screw the screws in to hold the bracket, the plaster started to shatter and has come away in chunks, leacing a hole about 4 inches across. It seemed to be in two very distinct layers (would this be render and skim? sorry, i'm not good on the terminology) as there was a flat, even surface between the layers.

I don't think a wall should be so brittle and do this, but he seems to think that it's my fault. Is is just a bit of wall that didn't dry properly, or did i do somethign wrong?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I'm with him. The screw went up against the lintel as you screwed it in and forced the plug and plaster backwards. Not a big repair job anyway, why argue?

Thanks for quick reply.

How would i fix it - plaster or filler of some form? Anything i should be mindful of?

(Sorry for the dumb questions, but i guess that's the point of the site!)

Thanks.

Patching plaster is probably best. Wet the hole first. (ooer missus :oops: )

Sponsored Links
and for my next dumb question, but just for the removal of doubt. is Patching Plaster a special type, or do you just mean patch the plaster?!

I'm all for wetting the hole first! :LOL:

You can get it from Wilkos. It doesn't shrink or crack, probably some kind of additive in there.

im guessing you were using really short screws maby 12mm? into the plaster. Is it a steel lintel or concrete?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back