Shaver Light won't work with LED bulbs

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
In our main bathroom, the bulb in the shaver unit went. I bought an LED replacement, (it came with a non-led one) but it wouldn't work.

I figured that the unit itself was broken so replaced it and the LES bulb still wouldn't work. On a whim I tried the non-led one that came with it and that worked.

A while later the bulb in the unit in the other bathroom went and I still had the LED replacement so I tried it and it worked straight away.

Now I've bought another new LED bulb for our main bathroom and that won't work in the unit either. I tried all 3 bulbs in the other bathroom and they all work fine but only the non-led works in the main bathroom. Its the exact same unit in both bathrooms and even a brand new one in the main.

I'm stumped, any ideas? Is it possible that the wiring is wrong in some way that would only affect an LED bulb? I just copied the wiring as is that was there when replacing the unit.

Sponsored Links
Picture of the unit? My guess is it's fluorescent and has some form of electronic ballast/driver which would need bypassing for a direct-mains powered LED replacement

I have seen something similar to this with auto-switching units, ie those that switch lights on and off randomly.

If they have a standard filament bulb in them they work perfectly, if they have an LED in them they don't work at all - that is to say that with the LED the auto-switching does not work, and you cannot use the unit as a standard light (you switch on the auto function by turning the light switch on and off in quick succession).

I surmise from this that the auto-switching device needs some level of current in order to work properly, and the LED won't allow that. Possible your shaver unit is the same - does it mention anything like that in the packaging?

Sponsored Links
Some of the older units also had a safety switch operated by the diffuser, so if the cover was not on properly then the light failed to work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back