shaver socket in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting ready to update my bathroom and currently there is an FCU that a wall mounted heater is connected to. This is located about 1meter from the sink and 1 meter higher then the sink (about 1 foot from the ceiling) and is approx 1 meter from the shower. My bathroom is 1.8m x 1.5m (very small). The FCU/wall heater was installed by the council years ago prior to me purchasing the flat.

Can I extend this circuit via junction box and turn into a shaver socket? And where could I put the shaver socket at? I would prefer closer (higher up, but reachable) to the sink as that is where the mirror is. A new false ceiling is being installed and the junction box (if acceptable) will be inside the new false ceiling.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot connect the wiring to the same terminals as the heater. as a heater FCU will require a 13A fuse, a shaver socket only 3A.

Whether you can use the supply to the FCU for the shaver depends on how it's been installed. If it's on the ring, then it's possible, but you will have to install another FCU with a 3A fuse for the shaver point. If the heaters connected to a spur which I suspect it will be if it's an add on, then you can't.

There are also requirements as to electrical switches & appliances in bathrooms. A wall mounted 240v switch (FCU with a rocker switch) would not be permissible within certain distances from a bath. See the link below for details.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/Pocket Guide 1.pdf

I personally would connect the shaver point to the lighting circuit.

Don't forget all electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regulations, and to make sure the shaver point is included in the crossbonding as per the link below.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/quest10.html

Thanks for all the info! One minor point, regarding the 13amp and 3amp fcu. Isn't the difference just the fuse? The heater will be removed. I'm not sure if its off a spur, haven't opened the fcu yet.

Sponsored Links
If the heater is going, you could change the fuse to 3A and wire the shave socket to the fcu outlet side.

The above advice re notification & bonding still applies :!:

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back