Shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the output terminals be tested for voltage or does it have to be under load?

Sponsored Links
You can test for voltage without a load, but you can only test line to neutral as the socket is fed from an isolating transformer so there there is no reference to earth.

Can you suggest a good quality shaver socket with polished chrome finish?

Recently I've used some lap screwless flat plate shaver sockets from screwfix. They look brilliant. If you want real top quality then I'd probably stick with MK but they're not really worth the extra money IMO.

Sponsored Links
Most shaver sockets have a switch worked by plugging in the plug so likely using meter probes would not work.

As already said isolated so need to test between L1 and L2 there is no neutral or earth it's a IT output (Insulated from Terrestrial connection).

Not all shaver transformers as continuous rated you need it to say tooth brush if used for charging a tooth brush most MK ones are designed to be used to charge a tooth brush.

Interesting. So Eric your opinion differs from RF's? I know the supply to the socket is fine, but I also know they are attempting to charge a toothbrush!

The MK ones have been rated for toothbrush charging for quite a while now. However if doesn't stop them cracking across the front after a year. Happened to two of mine.

Could someone provide MK model no. polished chrome that will definitely charge toothbrush please?

What type of charger is the socket rated for ?. Is it a long period (12 hour ) low current trickle or a rapid ( 30 minute ) high current charger ?

Cracking suggests the whole transformer ( windings AND core ) has over heated before the thermal cut out ( that is usually in or close to the windings ) has reached trip temperature. With short heavy overloads the windings heat and the thermal trips before the mass of the iron core heats up. When there is a prolonged but lesser overload with a slow increase in winding temperature the core can become as hot as the windings before the trip operates.

Some small transformers can take a 300% overload for a few minutes without damage but a persistant 50% overload results in damage.

I think the point is that the sockets still work fine. It isn't overheating so much as that the plastic of the front panel just doesn't like being heated on one side for long periods.

I suspect that isn't what they have tested, when they claim the specification.

[K701 - Suitable for use with electric toothbrush chargers]

I've invested in a new mk socket with the toothbrush symbol. Still gets hot after 30 mins. Haven't left it any longer.

I long ago invested in a non-isolated shaver socket which I put inside a cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back