Shed and fence treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations on a decent wood treatment for a large area of previously treated fence panels and shed?

The wood has been treated with the usual DIY waterbased treatment, the type that usually has something like 'ducks back' and 'lasts UP to five years' printed on the tub.

I've found that, despite two recent coats on previously treated surfaces, the stuff has crumbled away to reveal bare wood. I should stress this was painted last summer, in very dry weather, so wood wasn't damp.

It seems the treatment doesn't soak in enough to exposed, weathered wood.

Have used a DIFFERENT product made by Baufix. Waterbased, but really soaks into the wood straight away.

Have experimented by using Baufix on the weathered wood, and putting the usual 'ducks back' on top - purely to get the desired colour and finish.

Only done this inside on a scrap bit of wood, as weather too bad for os painting.

Can anyone think of a better way of doing the job?

I'm concerned that I don't use a treatment that won't be suitable on top of that 'ducks back'.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back