Shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals
I am having a 14ftx8ftshed being delivered in four weeks and have started prepwork. I am using an interlocking plastic base and have had to shift some soil from one side of the garden to the other end to level it out which has meant there is an extra 6 inches or so of soil against the fence.
Would I be best off making some sort of retainer for that side and if so how should I go about this.
Also is building sand ok for final leveling under the base and just to let you know the soil is very sticky clay type.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Dave

Sponsored Links
Unless you can compact that soil down properly, I'd be very wary of using it as a sub base instead of rubble/ballast. A narrow retainer is easy enough to construct - a couple of planks to create a former with concrete poured between them.

http://www.tigersheds.com/buildabase.asp provides details of site preparation (there are plenty of others if you do a quick google)

Thanks for the replay, I was hiring a whacker plate this weekend to make sure it was nice and compacted and was told this should be sufficient for the plastic interlocking base panels....hoping this will be the case and as for the retainer I was thinking something along those lines just wanted to make sure

Sponsored Links
Would hiring a wacker plate be the right thing to as well as using sharp sand to fill in the gaps/deviations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back