Greenhouse Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have searched the forum and know this can be done, but just wondering if i'm going to be doing it right.

My plan is to have soil for the base of the greenhouse, not slabs, yes I know stuff will grow in the soil, but thats the idea... if I get bored of it I can always put some slabs down...

Anyway, I have some (12) spare 7N dense blocks, was planning on laying these down on their long side, 100x220 side, and screwing the base down to this, this will give it weight and hold it in place.

My question is, can I just bury these in the soil level and screw the base down or should I be concreting them in to "hold" them in place.

Ground is heavy clay soil.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to lay some strip foundations first then lay the blocks on that. If you just lay the blocks direct on soil, even clay, they will soon move and with them, the greenhouse. It could easily bend in the middle as it will be quite heavy when glazed.

I laid 3 courses of brick on a concrete strip foundation several years ago for my greenhouse and little sign of movement - also on clay.

Thanks kbdiy,

I had a feeling that was the response I would get if I asked... which is a shame as I don't want to do it, but no doubt it is the old story of do it right first time or do it again and again. :D

Guess i'll have to look at getting another ballast bag!!!

Thanks.

Or, having had another thought, can I just do a strip foundation of concrete and drill straight into that?

I have no problem drilling into it and the concrete will provide the weight and stability, so why bother with the blocks?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely you can. I used bricks as I had them spare and wanted a bit more headroom in the greenhouse.

Extra head room seems like a great idea, as I have the blocks spare I will use these on top of a strip footing, this will also mean i won't have to fork out £60 for the base section!

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back