Shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to build a shed, approximately 2.5mx2.5m. It will be timber construction with osb board and rubber roof.

I am comfortable with all aspects apart from the base and especially working with concrete. Do I need to create a concrete base for the whole area or can I have concrete pad foundations in each corner?

I’m undecided on the type of door I am going to have and how much weight this will introduce.

Sponsored Links
For the amount of concrete you'll save, I can't believe it would make sense to not bother filling in "between" all the corners.

The smaller pads would allow me to experiment with the amount of concrete and mixing required. I do t feel confident to estimate, mix and level a larger area, all in one go.

Dependant on your soil there are alternatives. I put my log cabin on about 15 piers, using a hand auger to make 6" diameter holes to about a metre down. If I had used a raft it would have been 6 tonnes of concrete, but piers added to at about 1 tonne. I went a metre deep to get below the frost line to keep it stable. there has been no movement of the shed since it was done a few years ago. But I have quite a free draining sandy soil. If you have loads of clay to a significant depth then the raft has to be thick enough to hold together forever no matter what happens to the clay.

Sponsored Links
Are there any structural weaknesses to my suggested approach of concrete bases in each of the 4 corners?

Are there any structural weaknesses to my suggested approach of concrete bases in each of the 4 corners?
you need to have a stiff enough bearer beams in the base to support the whole length of the sides, extra piers reduce the strength required in the base. Also, I used composite beams as the lowest level so that the bearer beams get a frequent chance to dry out.

you need to have a stiff enough bearer beams in the base to support the whole length of the sides, extra piers reduce the strength required in the base. Also, I used composite beams as the lowest level so that the bearer beams get a frequent chance to dry out.
Perhaps I can have an additional foundation midway, in each direction? I am just trining to get away from the daunting task of estimating and mixing the whole base in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back