Shed build but no DPC under walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a 3m x 3m shed which will have a single skin five course high wall at the bottom. I have run a plastic membrane under the concrete slab but it does not go under the walls. My plan was to bring the plastic up and over the inside of the walls and then build the wood structure on top of that.

Stupidly I did not put a DPC under the bricks and now after rain I see that water seems to be wicking up the brickwork. Should I be worried about this? Do I need to knock it down and start again.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

shed.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm just a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore :)

I may be wrong, but as long as the plastic (DPM) extends up and over the wall (although not ideal), I believe it will be fine.

It would basically be no different to the walls of a cellar; there may be more dampness in the walls and you could see more efluorescence, but the interior and wood frame will be protected by the plastic.

A layer of DPC below the frame and around the door opening wouldn't hurt either.

I hope that helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back