Shed Cable Install Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm going to lay a cable down to my shed this weekend.
My sparky has done the calcs and has told me the cable size and all that.

The run is 12metres underground and he has said 4mm cable.

I will be going into the side of the shed with the cable by drilling through the wood.
Is there any type of adaptor that will finish of the cable entry into the shed that will remain waterproof?

Sponsored Links
I presume your using SWA?

The cable when it enters your shed can be sealed up using standard silicone sealer or similar.

The cable will need to be properly terminated into a box, so all you'd be doing where it comes thru the shed wall is sealing the cables outer jacket onto the wood.

Will be using SWA, I also have some flexi nylon conduit that I found in a skip at work that I will also run the SWA in.
I don't think its necessary but it a bit more protection I suppose.

I'd be more tempted to run the conduit in the same trench empty apart from a draw wire it it. So if in the future it was desirable to run other cables down there (eg network, alarm, phone etc) you have somewhere convenient to put them.

Sponsored Links
If possible, I would be looking at ways of bringing the cable through the floor of the shed, so any waterproofing issues disappear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back