Shed door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of building my own shed. The main reason for this is that the corner of the garden where I'm putting it isn't 90 degrees, more like 120. I don't want an awkward space behind the shed. I'm thinking of even using the shed walls as the boundaries if the neighbours will agree to it.

The other reason is security. Shop bought sheds are crap for security. And I live in a decent area, shed thefts are rife.

If I'm lucky it may also cost me less to build my own.

I'm looking for decent doors. A quick google fetched this up:

http://www.ajsteeldoors.co.uk/en/pr...panel_2-none/overhead_panel-none/extra_keys-0

To be honest it looks ideal. I can build my frame around it so dimensions dont really matter, though i know with these doors I'd need to leave clearance for squaring up and shimming.

The price looks almost too good to be true. Do the specs look ok? Has anybody used this company?

Sponsored Links
Steve, good evening.

The link to the proposed door looks impressive, it appears to have all the required "bits" dog bolts, good looking hinges and they look well secured and they appear hidden.

Nice spacing on the dead bolts on the closing edge.

Cannot see the thickness of the door panel?, or the thickness of the frames?

I can imagine a 150.mm X 50.mm frame with good Ply on the vulnerable door gable would be difficult to get into??

As for cost. I would have expected a higher cost.

Finally no i have not seen these, but at first viewing they look the part?

Ken

Thanks Ken.

When I finished speccing it with options it ended up a lot more expensive. For some reason any colour other than white is a £120 extra. Better cylinder (weakest point of the door) £25. Fair price but for a secure door I'd want a good cylinder by default.

They also do a 6 panel punched steel door too, same specs.

The frame is 1.2mm, and door is "double skin 0.6mm" and 50mm thick. It has a "dufalite"? Infil for its high impact value.

my thoughts

a very secure looking door will be a magnet saying somthing valuable behind it worth protecting
a tatty looking shed but difficult to get into will draw far less attention and defeat the casual theif

Sponsored Links
My mate has a tatty garage with a flimsy door needing paint on the side.
But when you open it, there is a far more secure one inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back