Shed door (build and finish)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, building a shed / bar have built the frame and now looking to build a door and hatch and have a few questions. The door and hatch will be a frame with 20mm shiplap to finish with hinges attached to shed frame and door frame.
Can this be done? Reason I as is in nervous about attaching hinges the shiplap and either splitting shiplap? Also the shiplap will be nail gunned attached.
Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
but the screws have to go through the shiplap into the frame

you can pilot drill to avoid splitting.

Sponsored Links
Perfect thank you, will take my time and drill pilot holes. Sorry one more question (if you know) if building the door frame, how much smaller than outer frame would you make this? Would about 1/4 inch be ok? Want to make sure that it doesnt stick but also dont want to make it a massive gap.

Perfect thank you, will take my time and drill pilot holes. Sorry one more question (if you know) if building the door frame, how much smaller than outer frame would you make this? Would about 1/4 inch be ok? Want to make sure that it doesnt stick but also dont want to make it a massive gap.
Depends how exposed it is, rain with swell it by up to around 20mm

Ah really that much it's a shed / bar in scotland, but surrounded by wooden fencing on 3 sides. It's a wee but sheltered. I have left about 4/5 mm around.

wood expands with humidity, but only widthways (across the grain), not lengthways.

So if your cladding boards are horizontal, the sides can be quite a close fit. The frame will expand more than the cladding. But maybe you could let the cladding overhang a bit to hide the gap and also to keep rain off the frame.

Your door will probably sag a bit trapezioid, however well you make it.

Genuinely didnt know that. Appreciate the info, think I'm aiming / expecting too close to perfection, especially for a first time build.

you also talk about 20mm shiplap that will probably be ex worked size so perhaps 15mm finished sized so you need to check also coverage will be around 15-20mm less than the inch size as in 5 inch 127mm start size machined coverage will be 109-111mm
also you talk about nail gun are you sure its a propper nail gun with perhaps collated 15 gauge nails or a 16 pin gun or 18 gauge light pin gun ??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back