Building my first shed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just starting to prepare for my summer project - a new shed! I pulled down the old one at the end of the garden when I moved in to the house a couple of years ago as. It was a case of pulling it down before it fell down :)

The rear and right walls of the old shed still remain and form part of the boundary of my property. These are built of breeze block. I’ll be using these walls to form part of the new shed. I’ll be building the left in breeze and front up to about knee height. The rest of the front will be timber frame and the front will be covered in shiplap. Approx size is 5m x 3m. Early days yet and no doubt I’ll have loads of questions! This is the first structure I’ve ever built so I’ll be learning on the job ;)

So, first question, I ran a google image search on shiplap cladding and found a number of pictures showing sheds in mid-build. They all seem to be fitting the cladding from top down. Is there a reason for this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if the roof is on you cant fit the top peice without a gap to drop it on the tounge unless you remove the back off the tounge
on my shed i fitted bottom to around 4ft up to allow 2" ovelap on the bottom
then top down for the other 2ft with a board cut to height with a new rebate on the bottom to clip over the tounge then an offcut screwed on the back between the frames to hold the planks flat but only screwed to the upper plank to allow full movement
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=e1e47346.pbw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back