summerhouse build and walls stressing me out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am new here, but have read hundreds of posts, i have started building a summerhouse/ garden room/shed, its 17 ft by 10ft, all the base is done and OSB boards down on the base, the frame work is up, now this is where i get stuck, i was going to put osb boards around the framework and then shiplap on top, then i changed my mind and decided not to put the osb boards on and just shiplap onto the frame work, i am now reading some more and i think i need to put a breathable membrane on it, now for my questions
1/ do i use a ply/osb board first is it necesary or can i go without
2/ if i don't use it how do i attach the breathable membrane to the framework
3/ then once the breathable membrane is in place do i attach batons??

im sorry for sounding thick this is the first build i have done and i would have got this far without this site, only i want it to be watertight, i have got some sliding double glazed patio doors to go in and i want the walls to be watertight, i would rather get it right first time thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
i was thinking, frame, 11mm osb board, or do you think i could get away with 5.5mm ply, then membrane, batons, cladding, and then on inside i was going to use rockwool between fram and then plasterboard could this work cheers

i know it costs more but please use 12mm exteriour ply from a wood yard you will get a strong long lasting structure where you can hang what you like from the walls with only the heaviest items needing extra support
a swivel chair or a heavy "thump" can damage 6mmply[5.5]

and you often get a beuitifull hardwood finnish

would also go for ply on the floor what centres are your floor timbers and what thickness is your flooring??

Sponsored Links
hi, i used 6x2 joists and i spaced then at 16" on centre then put noggins in everwhere then 11mm osb boarding on top, it really is solid, i will go with the stronger walls that you suggest, i hadnt eve though about hanging anything on the walls, i can get 11mm OSB quite cheap is this pretty strong? cheers

I would not use plasterboard in a timber out-building [likely to suffer from cold damp conditions], better to use ply internally.

I used 12mm ply to line my garage walls, allows fixing of shelving etc without problem.

hi, i used 6x2 joists and i spaced then at 16" on centre then put noggins in everwhere then 11mm osb boarding on top, it really is solid, i will go with the stronger walls that you suggest, i hadnt eve though about hanging anything on the walls, i can get 11mm OSB quite cheap is this pretty strong? cheers

as i say ply can give you a nice decorative hardwood colour and a relatively flat finish where as osb is rather uneven also tends to have a waxy finish
you should be ok at 16 centers but ply would be better for point loading like workbenches and chair legs

as i say ply can give you a nice decorative hardwood colour and a relatively flat finish where as osb is rather uneven also tends to have a waxy finish
you should be ok at 16 centers but ply would be better for point loading like workbenches and chair legs
Big A ----I think the osb is for external only.

could be lol :D :D

hope its not on the floor as i suspect it may fail indeed my next suggestion was to knock some big nails into big timbers on a workmate or chisel a hole in timber to check the bounce and possible dammage

i have put it on the floor, but the timber place did advise that it would be fine, there is no movement, or no bounce anywhere and i made sure the joists were all solid and it has so many noggins in it is well supported, i have been and brought the rest of the wood today, so let the build commence, its looking good just hope it continues to

was the timber place a wood yard ' builders merchant 'or diy shed :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back