Shed electrics - wire sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a ring of sockets in the shed, with a separate feed for lights and some radials for sockets in the ceiling (at height).

I do have a few largish tools (thicknesser or table saw etc nothing too massive though) and the vac/dust extraction. I think that would be the most I would use at once, with some thought for a 1-2kw heater (could run a heater right by the CU with it own feed?). Not sure here if I should go for 2.5 or 4mm?

I also want to put some double sockets in the ceiling run as radials (connected from a socket in the wall, diagram doesn't show that). I doubt I would want more than 13A at a time from each double. Would 1.5mm be okay in this instance? And as described? I think the ceiling might be 101, but insulation is just PIR and ~60mm/

I expect I will be putting the wire between the insulation and inner cladding (102?) though may end up in surface conduit (B).

Lights max 10w each, x4. I'm assuming 1mm is okay here.

From what I can tell, I can do this myself, though the house to shed CU feed would need someone else to do? (Which is the plan). Would having an external socket on the shed (fed from the socket ring using an FCU) needs to be signed off being external?

Sketch: https://i.imgur.com/0bjjtBz.jpg

Sponsored Links
How far is the shed from the house electric supply?

it’s a new circuit, so needs to be notified to LABC. Best option is to use a registered electrician. He/she can answer your questions, design everything, install, test, certify and notify the works.

About 50m at most, not sure on the route we're going to trench yet. The idea was to get someone else to do the run from the house to the CU and I would do the rest (or at least first fix, as that is what I want to get done now to get on with other jobs).

It's the CU in the shed thats the need to be notified?

About 50m at most, not sure on the route we're going to trench yet. The idea was to get someone else to do the run from the house to the CU and I would do the rest (or at least first fix, as that is what I want to get done now to get on with other jobs).

It's the CU in the shed thats the need to be notified?

No the lot will need certifying.... But only if you tell people you've done it ;)

For 50 meter run need to be careful of the voltage drop, you'd be best going for 10mm with what you want

Sponsored Links
No the lot will need certifying.... But only if you tell people you've done it ;)

For 50 meter run need to be careful of the voltage drop, you'd be best going for 10mm with what you want

It's closer to 25m, but have been assuming 50 at worst, its only £40 between them anyway.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back