shed electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,
Just joined the forum and was wondering if you could help me out.
What i need to know is?i am wanting to put electrics down to my shed which is about 25ft away from the house i have had a electrician come around to give use some advice on doing this a he said to take it from a socket in the house and use 1.5mm swa cable down to the shed into a garage consumer unit and then run it to a double socket and a light.
Now i am going to be using power tools like a circular saw,router,drills ,and other things.
What i need to know is this the right size cable to use because some say 4.0mm Would be better.
Please help any info or suggestion .
Cheers Dazz :confused:

Sponsored Links
1.5mm² just won't cut it, to stay withing volt drop requirements you'd have to install a 10A breaker feeding this cable, and such a supply would be unsuitable for installing sockets onto.

personnaly I'd install 6mm² SWA from a 40A breaker to the submain, it might be a bit overkil, but you can be sure its not going to be too little.

What earthing arrangement do you have, TT, TNC-S, TNS (if you are unsure as to the meaning of these, then they are explained in the information post at the top of the forum)

you may also want to search for supply to garage, supply to shed etc. did this electricain arrive on a horse?

Adam_151 said:
1.5mm² just won't cut it, to stay withing volt drop requirements you'd have to install a 10A breaker feeding this cable, and such a supply would be unsuitable for installing sockets onto.

personnaly I'd install 6mm² SWA from a 40A breaker to the submain, it might be a bit overkil, but you can be sure its not going to be too little.

What earthing arrangement do you have, TT, TNC-S, TNS (if you are unsure as to the meaning of these, then they are explained in the information post at the top of the forum)

I aint to sure about the earthing of the house but,the house is only 5-6 years old the cu is at the front of the house which has its own rcd.the meter is on the outside front of the house(just checked near the meter and the earth looks like its going to a metal pipe)
so do you suggest going from the back of the wall socket and up the breaker size or should i go from the cu :rolleyes:
The only reason i'm thinking of going from the socket is because the cu is at the front and it would be a lot of work to get the wire out back???

Sponsored Links
shrimp said:
Adam_151 said:

I aint to sure about the earthing of the house but,the house is only 5-6 years old the cu is at the front of the house which has its own rcd.the meter is on the outside front of the house(just checked near the meter and the earth looks like its going to a metal pipe)
so do you suggest going from the back of the wall socket and up the breaker size or should i go from the cu :rolleyes:
The only reason i'm thinking of going from the socket is because the cu is at the front and it would be a lot of work to get the wire out back???

Earthing arrangements link
It is important to determine what type of earthing you have as their are issues with exporting a PME (TN-CS) earth to an outbuilding.
Any feed greater than 13A will need to go directly from the CU to the garage. You must not increase the 32A breaker on the ring main.

Spark123 said:
shrimp said:
Adam_151 said:

Earthing arrangements link
It is important to determine what type of earthing you have as their are issues with exporting a PME (TN-CS) earth to an outbuilding.
Any feed greater than 13A will need to go directly from the CU to the garage. You must not increase the 32A breaker on the ring main.

i've checked the meter again and it say its a pme type but it has 4 cables going into the box.

So if you cant put power from this type to a outbuilding what can be done to this or is there no way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back