Shed felting - to use adhesive or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to avoid using adhesive if possible (who wouldn't) to refelt my 8 x 5 gable roof shed. Is the extra hassle really worth it? (especially as I will be doing it by myself)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chukka63 ... but I've heard some people say that at least the overlaps should be stuck. Any real basis for this?

I always stick a bit of adhesive on the laps. It just gives a little extra protection if a strong wind tries to lift the top edge.
Quite often I also put a dab of sealant on the nails to seal them where they pierce the felt.

Neither are probably strictly necessary, but it's not a huge extra cost, and if you going to spend a load of money you might as well make it last as long as possible.

Sponsored Links
i never use it unless we are doing a sedum roof. i do always use garage grade felt though as its much better quality than the shed felt and will last longer. i do try and avoid any laps on the side of the prevailing wind as well

I refelted my 12'x10 shed this year.

I spread bichumen on the roof, laid underfelt on top, and then mineral felt on top of that, at 90 degrees to each other.

Should last for years. Hopefully

Thanks LeadFarmer ... I had intended to go ahead with bitumen adhesive but the weather a couple of days ago was so cold that it was almost solid in the tin and totally unspreadable. Abandoned the idea and compensated with a good quality felt and loads of nails.
Thanks all for your contributions.

The only problem with using bitumen is when you come to strip it all off in the furure to re-felt again. Makes it a bugger to get off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back