Shed floor - about to put the T&G down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to put the T&G down for my shed/cabin floor.

Base is 6x2 timber. Polystyrene sheets wedged in between to give a bit of insulation, stop any draughts.

During the construction phase I laid a sheet of black DPM over the top, mostly to keep the rain off.

Should I remove this before laying the T&G, if I leave it will it cause problems? (thinking condensation maybe?)

Also - T&G is untreated. Worth giving it a coat or two of wood preserver on the underside before nailing down? Or a waste of expensive preserver?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you need to get air to the timbers to allow moisture to escape

is your flooring at least 20mm thick??
i assume its softwood planks ??

you would not be wasting preservative on exposed timber

Righto. Will take the DPM up then!

Boards are 18mmx90mm T&G. Not expecting too much bounce as the joists are at 350ish centres.

Worth going to the effort of preservative on the underside of the boards? They're not exposed to the elements as such. They are in contact with the tanalised joists though of course. Top will be a hard varnish, possibly carpet on top (it's one of those shed/log cabin things)

Sponsored Links
They sit on concrete blocks about 6inch away from ground. DPM in between block and timber.

I always use Cuprinol top, bottom, edges and ends, on outside timber, even if out of the rain, applied before fixing so you can protect ends and cut edges. Otherwise, it will be very prone to worm, and dampness will encourage rot.

Hard varnish can crack due to movement as humidity changes. You might consider a Decking stain or oil instead.

I have recently started using decking timber for outside work, as it is pre-treated and non-slip.

i always set the end off the floor joists 1" in an 1" clear on the sides
i also overlap the sides 2 to 3" to cover the floor and and give some protection to the joist ends
you need to make sure you have at least 2" clearance between the ground and the sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back