Shed/Garage From FCU-Permitted since when?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading In an article of Wiring Matter, Autumn 2005 I think, it explains about taking power to a shed garage outdoors.

The preferred method is explained ie seperate circuit from consumer unit, or where the garage/shed is supplied from an FCU on the fround floor Ring Final Circuit.

I have always led to believe that an outbuilding installation has to be entirely seperate from any circuit in the main premises, though it must be permitted if the regulations explain how it may be done.

If so, what size cable runs from house to outbuilding if protected by a 13 amp fuse, assuming outbuilding is say fairly near the house, how many sockets permittted etc, since 13 amps wont give much power available.

Sponsored Links
Clitheroe said:
I have always led to believe that an outbuilding installation has to be entirely seperate from any circuit in the main premises, though it must be permitted if the regulations explain how it may be done.

If so, what size cable runs from house to outbuilding if protected by a 13 amp fuse, assuming outbuilding is say fairly near the house, how many sockets permittted etc, since 13 amps wont give much power available.

Feeding a detached building from an FCU is allowed, but only suitable for very small loads - e.g running a freezer and some lights.

The cable size for a 13A load depends on distance and the route taken. 2.5mm² SWA will usually be suitable for relatively short distances.

The number of sockets is only limited by the floor area, but this won't be an issue for most sheds/garages/workshops etc.

Yes thats the article.

Also however, supposing the outbuilding is only a few metres away however, wouldnt 2.5 mm cable be considered a bit of an overkill?

Sponsored Links
that's why there's an
icon_edit.gif
button

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back