SHED QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Looking for some [more] advice please...

(a) How long will untreated shiplap last outside? By untreated I mean normal shiplap which has not been pressure/chemical treated but just 'sealed' with a proprietary shed/fence paint

(b) What is the best way of dealing with the corners of a shiplap shed? Some I have seen have a form of capping and others just seem to be butted up to wood which stands proud of the main frame.

Thanks in advance.

B

Sponsored Links
a. don't skimp - get treated shiplap as you won't recoat as often as you think you will.

b. capping with angled wood works best.

Thanks ellal for taking the time to reply.

Long story short....I am intending to build a proper large shed in 12-18 months time but need a small shed for storage in the interim.

Looked at using shiplap and featheredge for the small shed and, as you know, treated shiplap is the most expensive hence my questions about using untreated shiplap and finishing featheredge.

Guess I will look at using the cheaper featheredge for the small shed and will finish the edges with angle as you suggest.

Thanks again

B

Sponsored Links
I think I may have got lucky with ship lap I used to build a shed with . It was untreated save for a slap of fence guard and 25 years later it's still fine. That said I've taken down sheds that have started to go rotten only about a quarter of that age. Best to follow ellal's advice and go with treated , in al honesty it's not really much more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back