Maintenance-friendly shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace my garden shed with a new custom made shed. The new shed will be on a concrete base, built with timber studs and plywood on the outside, with roof membrane tacked on top of that. I haven’t decided on the outermost layer.

I want this shed to be easily maintainable over the years. My current shed - like most I suspect - is butted against the neighbours fence on both sides. Squeezed into the corner of my garden. I can’t get to either of these sides to treat the timber or for any other maintenance. I think I should leave some space around all sides for the next one. I don’t have a very large garden and would appreciate some advice and measurements for this.

My current shed also has shiplap panels which can’t be replaced easily. What can I use so that each slat could be switched out if rotten in the future?

The wooden doors on the current shed are swollen due to the rain and no longer close into the frame. Again, I would welcome your advice on this too.

The shed will be around 2.5m x 2.5m.

Any other tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What's the shed for?

Can you see it from the house?

Plastic sheds don't rot or need maintenance.

My current shed also has shiplap panels which can’t be replaced easily. What can I use so that each slat could be switched out if rotten in the future?

My shed, bought 30 years ago, is built entirely from thick, rough sawn wavy edge timber, with the bark left on. Originally just bare timber, I've treated it once, three years ago with preservative. Replacing a single rotting panel of timber would be quite easy. Main thing is having the floor timber, up of the ground, on something impervious to moisture, to prevent rot. Mine is raised on bricks, which allows air flow under, and the roof drains well clear of the sides.

Sponsored Links
Build the corner panels with uvpc cladding exterior before erected , then you won’t need access to maintain .

Build the corner panels with uvpc cladding exterior before erected , then you won’t need access to maintain .
That's genius!
Are you suggesting that I could build the timber studs, line with plywood and then PVC clad before I place these two sides into the corners? Because they are PVC cladded, I don't need to worry about access for maintenance. Is that right?

Mine is clad in composite at the front, the sides you can't see are clad in uPVC soffit board (both bought cheap on eBay/faceache) as it's pricy stuff. It's also on castors so I can wheel it out if I need to (mainly for maintenance of the building behind it).

IMG_20231106_094006990_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back