Timber Sizes For Home Built Shed and Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am re-modelling / building a shed in my garden. The shed is about 4ft high and sits about a breeze block height above the ground. I am going to raise its height by lowering the base and raising the roof so that I can comfortably walk around in it (I am only 5ft 7in).

Currently it uses a full height breeze block Garden wall for one long side, another full height breeze block wall for a side wall, the other two sides are wooden slats.

My intention is to build a half height block wall for the sides that are currently all wood and then on these walls I want to build a timber frame on which i will fix wooden overlapped slats. I will also put in a window and door frames.

The roof is currently wriggly Asbestos but I want to replace this and either afix it on top of the back wall or afix it against the back wall and put lead flashing under the top layer of blocks.

Questions:

1. What size wood would you recommend for the timber frame.
2. Would it be best to affix the roof to the top of the back wall or to its side and flash it, any pictures showing the methods?
3. How deep should the footings be for a 6ft high shed?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back