Shed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I was given 140 24" long Durox thermal blocks, I've always wanted to build a shed and thought these blocks would be ideal, so my question is would they be ok to build one out off? I'm looking at doing a 10ft x7x7 not 100% sure on size. Been looking online to see if anyone has photos of sheds done this was but not seen any.

Any info please

Tone

Sponsored Links
Absolutely, and the thermal properties are high spec. You will have to render the building of coarse, as these blocks are quite porous...pinenot :)

Thanks for the info, if my shed was 10ft x7x7, how deep should the footings be. ? I plan to chuck bricks in as well broken up or whole, but not sure if I need to just do the wall areas for footings or the whole lot, keeping cost down is a must.

The footprint size of the shed is irrelevant regards strip foundations though the overall height and roof structure, is relevant.

You will need to dig down to undisturbed virgin ground that is stable and not 'growing' matter.

Your foundation concrete will need to be a minimum of 200mm thick and be 100mm wider than the wall each side. Don't chuck bricks in the hole just chuck concrete in it.

If you go with a slab/raft foundation, make sure you thicken the slab where the walls are and lay hard core sub-base to the floor part only.

Sponsored Links
Just as way of explanation, footings and foundations refer to the same thing :)

The Durox blocks I was given are 2ft long and are just over 2 stone, is this normal weight ?

Taken from Tarmac site, the manufacturers -

"Block widths and weights

Block width (mm) 50 70 100 115 125 140 150 190 200 215
Unit weights (kg) 1.6 4.4 6.3 7.3 7.9 8.8 9.5 12.0 12.6 13.6
Laid weights (kg/m²) 29 39 55 64 69 77 83 105 111 119
*Unit and laid weights, which are given for design purposes, are approximate and calculated based on the specified dry density with a 3% moisture content by weight added to provide equilibrium weights."

How much do you think the concrete footings will cost for my shed size above
Is it cheaper to hire a mixer, I'm on a budget so need to keep costs down and will be doing it myself at a slow pace

Buy, say 2.5 tonne of ballast and 17 bags of cement = £160ish.
Polythene and some (mot) hard core infill should be around £40.

There will be enough ballast to do the foundations and the floor slab.

Hire a mixer for a week or hire it for two separate days. Provided you do all the prep and dig beforehand there is no reason why the footings and the slab should take any more than a day apiece. Get prices from your local hire company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back