Sheddy questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post on here. How do you do! I have a few questions actually- I will be brief though.

Firstly, I gather that paving slabs are a cheaper option than concrete shed base but more hassle to lay down. I want to put a DPC beneath a 10' x 10' shed- can I still use this under a slab base to any advantage??

Secondly, amongst the other alternatives I had considered peers. If I used peers set in concrete with treated wooden supports and layed my shed on top would this system inevitably be prone to more damp problems than a solid base with a DPC???? Is there a recommended height for peers in order to avoid damp problems??

As well as moisture I am also concerned about weeds under a peer built shed. Would using a layer of damp course on the bare earth below help kill two birds with one stone by acting as a barrier to both weeds and moisture???

How would this compare to a slab base and damp course in your opinion???

Many thanks in advance,
Tony

Sponsored Links
I’ve had several sheds of varying sizes over the years. I have used both concrete pavers & reinforced concrete (fence) bargeboards laid & levelled on sand for the base; both work equally as well. To keep damp out of the base, I always treat the timber first & fix roofing felt to the entire underside of the shed base before building up the shed. I bring the felt up over the sides, leaving about 75mm to tuck in behind the side panels. I’ve never had a problem with damp or weeds & the shed I left behind at my last property had been there 18 years without any signs of rot in the base or lower side sections. My latest shed is around 8m x 3m laid on concrete pavers; it’s been up for 3 years & no problems.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Is there any reason you use roofing felt and not DPC under your shed??? Also, when you mention concrete bargeboards as a base do you mean layed flush or spaced out like peers??

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

you dont need to worry about weeds they wont grow without light or water

you only need felt or damp proof membrane between your floor joists and whatever they are sitting on [should be at least a brick abouve the surrounding ground level]

you wont get damp or rot providing theres through ventilation

and if you plan properly with the joists going in the right direction you can store stuff under the shed [the clother airer for example]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies!!!
Could anyone enlighten me a bit further on two things....
Firstly, what are the best materials to make simple and effective peers from?

Secondly, I have read on various forums (such as Readersheds.co.uk ((btw is this site still alive??? I'm waiting for the administrator to make me a member but he is silent!!))) that it is advisable to leave a cavity between the shed roof and any mineral wool insulation and include soffit vents to aid ventilation. How big a gap should I leave??

Oh, and does anyone know offhand whether foil backed plaster board is A. any substitute for polythene waterproofing and B. if it's much more expensive than normal plaster board. Oh, and C. can I get it from most diy places???

The greatest of thanks,
Tony

tigerdraws said:
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Is there any reason you use roofing felt and not DPC under your shed??? Also, when you mention concrete bargeboards as a base do you mean layed flush or spaced out like peers??

The reason I use shed roofing felt is that it’s much stronger in an exposed situation & will last almost indefinitely. Rats & mice etc. won’t gnaw through it & your less likely to damage it with the strimmer when you cut the grass around the shed base. Fully covering the base stops damp permeating up through the timber floor! I’ve laid gravel boards flush under the whole base before but you can lay them around the perimeter & then space them according to the floor support centres in between.

It does sound as though your building something more than a storage shed, what do you intend to use it for?

tigerdraws said:
Oh, and does anyone know offhand whether foil backed plaster board is A. any substitute for polythene waterproofing and B. if it's much more expensive than normal plaster board. Oh, and C. can I get it from most diy places??
The foil back plasterboard are mositure resistance and reflect the heat back into the room and they are available mostly anywhere, also the price is not a lot in it.

Richard C said:
It does sound as though your building something more than a storage shed, what do you intend to use it for?

Well deduced sir!!! I am indeed building more than a storage shed, while at the same time constrained to a storage shed budget :mad:

I have set the budget as close to £2000 as I can. If the shed salesman stop trying to take me for a ride (they're offering to sell me the wool insulation for £100 when I can get more than I actually need from Jewsons for £85.00!!!)- it looks as if I might be able to get it in at around £2200 with insulation and basic no frills finishing (plaster board but no beading or skirting etc).

What's it for??? Well I want to live in it!!! I currently don't have a bedroom at my parent's house (as they knocked two rooms into one the meanies) and I would like a little nest to fall back on and chill out when I'm in town.

I am going to extra trouble (at minimum costs hopefully) to get it as cosy and dry as I can. It's a challenge!!

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

In the walls I want to use a breatherpaper / mineral wool / polythene / foil-backed plasterboard sandwhich. And in the roof I want to use a roofing felt / chipboard / breather paper / cavity / mineral wool / polythene / foil-backed plasterboard sandwhich!!

I'm going to have a DPC outer wrapped floor with polystyrene insulation.

Windows will be single glazed- I hope what little heat I manage to retain with my wall insulation doesn't go right out the windows:) If you think it will please put me out of my misery. I'm going to hang some little curtains over them!!! They could even be foil backed :)

Oh also, if you think I stand no chance of getting all these features within my budget please tell me. I know the shed will be around £1,800 with delivery.... £400 for the above????

what part of the country are you in and where are you trying to buy it from?

you are aware that youll need planning permission as it has sleeping facilitys and will have to comply with building regs !!!!

it may also have implication on the council tax :cry: :cry: :cry:

big-all said:
you are aware that youll need planning permission as it has sleeping facilitys and will have to comply with building regs !!!!

Did I say bedroom??? I meant bed store. It's a shed to store a bed in. Not a bedroom. It's a spare bed storage facililty.

I'm from the Southwest.

tigerdraws said:
Oh also, if you think I stand no chance of getting all these features within my budget please tell me. I know the shed will be around £1,800 with delivery.... £400 for the above????
Have a good look around the internet suppliers, there are some keen prices around; it’s how I got my latest one. But I think you’ll need to be looking for some thing more akin to a log cabin (20/30mm T&G) which will push the price up!

I've hit upon a winner for exterior cladding. A neighbour was getting rid of some decking offcuts so I've used these on the exterior. A bit of work with electric planer to make all edges 45° so that they overlap slightly. Smooth side facing outwards and hung vertically, they look the bees, plus are nice and thick.
With this in mind why don't you build it yourself? What size were you looking at though? 8x12 or 10x12 shouldn't be too pricey.

tigerdraws said:
big-all said:

Did I say bedroom??? I meant bed store. It's a shed to store a bed in. Not a bedroom. It's a spare bed storage facililty.

I'm from the Southwest.

just make shure you dont upset the neibours :D ;)

here is a couple of pictures of my workshop its 12by10ft it hasnt got insulation yet it has power phone linked to the home entertainment but is purly a workshop and cost around a thousand up to now

workshop002.jpg

workshop001.jpg

workshop012.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back