sheeting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have somebody coming to replace my tired old kitchen french windows and side lights on Friday. The side lights are 50/50 wall/window, which are to have the wall cut out to allow for full height bi-folding doors.
My kitchen diner, hallway, lounge and stairs are all open plan, and it never even crossed my mind until my wife asked how they would keep the dust out of the rest of the house when they cut out the stonework.
To save a beating I told her that all of that would be taken care of at the time, but the truth is I don't know if it is something that I am supposed to take care of before the job starts.
I don't want to ask the installer in case they see my naivety as an opportunity. Not pre-judging them but I don't want to take the chance.

If you were doing the job, would you expect to have to sheet up in some way? I am assuming (and hoping) that it will be a bit more elaborate than suspending dust sheets across a couple of props.
If yes, what should I expect?
If not, how should I do it? The thought of having dust everywhere and the time it takes to finally eradicate it, especially in a kitchen where we (7 of us) eat as a family every day, If it is down to me I want to get it right.
So, all advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I don't want to ask the installer in case they see my naivety as an opportunity. Not pre-judging them but I don't want to take the chance.

If you were doing the job, would you expect to have to sheet up in some way? I am assuming (and hoping) that it will be a bit more elaborate than suspending dust sheets across a couple of props.
Yes, I'd expect to sheet-up and protect floor coverings as well. I normally use thin sheet plastic and telescoping poles (called ZipWall) - this is a standard system and if done right only a minimal amount of dust should get into the house. BUT there will always be some! To deal with that I carry a vacuum cleaner for end of job clean-ups. Before I bought my ZipWall stuff I used to do the same sort of thing with timber T-supports, plastic sheeting and masking tape. Expecting that the mess will be minimised isn't asking too much - the nature of the game means that expecting NIL mess, is asking too much IMHO

Thanks J&K, very helpful and constructive answer. I was able to go onto the internet and look up what you described, I have a much clearer picture now.
I agree, it is too much to expect nil dust. Cheers, Dave.

Personally I would only be sheeting out floors and maybe chairs/tables, I would stay away from anything delicate as I wouldnt want my sheets to slip and damage anything.

On the flip side I would minimize dust by hammerdrilling a series of holes internally and only using a disc cutter outside.

It never hurts to ut down a few sheets of your own 1st.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back