Shelf fixing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have to put up a shelf in the kitchen that the missus will no doubt load with jars etc. I imagine it will need to carry a reasonable weight.

It will be fixed through tiles into a dense concrete block wall and was thinking blue or grey Rawls hammered through the tiles with decent screws.

One end will fix into an area where the plaster is blown and the blocks a bit goosed. It's the remnants of a wall that was toothed in and demolished with haste and big hammers. I filled it with lightweight filler as it was to be tiled over. Now I discover her shelf end fix will land on it...

How can I easily prepare a background to tile over and fix into given the situation. The tiles are large format if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
You can either dig out the filler and fill again or use extra long screw to hit something more solid.Tiling will add to the overall strength.

Thanks foxhole

What would you fill it with? Sand cement or the likes?

Iirc the block behind was crumbled.

Cheers

Graeme

i t will help to know the shelf position[corner/alcove] and expected support as in batons brackets ect

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Managed to persuade the missus to use an "off the shelf" shelf that mounts on a rail screwed to the wall. Stenstorp from ikea.

I can therefore avoid the issue without a problem :)

Thanks for the advice though as with help from here I know it's possible to takle anything drawing on others experience.

Graeme

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back