Shelf project onto brick wall - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.Recently moved in to a flat and it has been full of surprises and I'll probably be a regular visitor to this site.

When stripping down the wallpaper in the Living room, I came across a hollow part of plasterboard.I pulled it away to expose a brick (outside) wall.The pointing of the brickwork crumbles quite easy.I have been told that as it is an old flat (approx 100 years old) it is limestone pointing and I should just repair the bad bits.What do I need to do before fixing plasterboard to the wall to cover the bricks?. I was told that I cannot fix plasterboard direct to the wall, but I cannot remember why or what to do. What is the best way of repairing the pointing?

DIY Novice!!

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

don't mean to be defeatist here, but I think since you are a complete virgin :p it may be best to leave it to a plasterer. :( But, getting a tradesman in is a good opportunity to learn and pick up information. Watch the plasterer, ask questions and supply lots of tea!

But, if you are willing to have a go anyway... Without seeing it, it sounds like the best way, would be to use bonding coat plaster to bring the level outflush with the surrounding wall, then a thin skim of finishing plaster to achieve the finish.

Have a search to find out more (it's been covered many times) and probably better than I would explain it! I'm no plasterer!!! :confused:

Good luck
MMJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back