Shelf Screws

B

Block Plaster

I realise that this is probably a very basic question but I'm not hugely experienced with DIY so I'd appreciate some help with it.

I want to put up a 1M book shelf using 2 x 25cm mitred brackets with 3 x 5mm screw holes down each length. The wall is brick with plaster on top and 15cm thick. The bracket designs go from a point at the ends to a wider point where the two lengths meet so the 3 holes are 1cm, 1.5cm and 2cm away from where it will meet the wall. I want to use this for fairly heavy books so I am looking at something like 60Kg maximum.

I was looking for advice about exactly which screws and wall plugs I need to buy to ensure it is a secure fit for a fairly heavy load?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
brown plugs 6.5mm masonery bit hammer action
drill the hole 50-55mm into the wall dependant on screw length
bracket depth+45mm gives you the screw length required
so if the frame is say 22mm then 22+45=67mm so 70mm screw
you could also use imperial no10x 2.5"or 2.75 screws[65mm-71mm]

Thanks big-all, that's really helpful. Should I use the same length screws all the way up as the bracket is further away from the wall at the top so I assume this will take the most load, or will some variant of 65-71mm be enough anyway (if I go for 71mm it should leave at least 50mm in the wall even on the furthest part of the bracket)?

Sponsored Links
yes just remember the plug is around 40mm in length so aim for a screw to go in at least 36/37mm and work back from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back