Shelving Units and new carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install some floor based shelving units that I will screw to the walls.

This might sound like a stupid question, but is it OK to put the shelves in before carpeting, to avoid them sitting on the grippers?

I gues I can put grippers up to edge of the shelving surround and a layer can make the carpert fit OK?

Sponsored Links
bad idea unleess you 100% shure the carpet will be changed before the shelves

Thanks big-all

Its just that putting shelving units up against the wall with grippers under the carpet is near impossible to get them to sit properly,

Is their an alternative to the nail type gripper system?
Say a velcro sort of method?

Sponsored Links
if you are making them yourself put a a 1.5 to 2 degree slope on the legs i do on all furniture over 4ft

other choices leave small gaps in the grips where the legs go as the units back panel or bottom member will be well clear off the floor

orr sit the sides on 6mm strips in front off the gripers to raise above the grippers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back