Shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Let me start by saying that I'm not that great with cutting straight.

I have some Conti Board left over from puting some shelves in the wardrobe,so I wanted to use them to put in a storage cupboard.
So the bits that I have left are 20" deep & 27" long, what I want to do is to cut them in half, width wase to make them 10" deep and then put them next to each other, so each shelf will be 10" deep and 27" + 27" wide. So my first question is how to cut the width in half, if I use a Rip saw, it will be a bit untidy, I guess that isn't so bad as I could put the rough cut at the back, but how can I do it neater,here are a few thoughts:-

Could I Mark the Conti with a Stanley knife to stop it being so untidy?
Could I clamp a piece of timber along it and use a Fine Jig saw blade, if I try and do it with out the timber guide, I won't do it straight.
I think my brother in law has a circular saw (don't think it's built into a bench,so not sure how he uses it), so could take it round there.
Could take it to DIY stoer and get them to cut it, I think they charge @ 50p per cut, if they will allow me to do that, I know they do when you buy the wood in store, just not sure if you can take your own in.

Next thing is, how do I fix it, again a few thoughts

Right angle brackets, I guess I would need quite a few
Timber battern, if so what size? 1" x 2", then make a 'Box type frame, the center support where the 2 bits meet and possibly extra centre supports for stength?

Not sure what we are going to put on the as yet, I did think of some kind or Upright (Vertical) support.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I think my brother in law has a circular saw (don't think it's built into a bench,so not sure how he uses it

The circular-saw will have a sole-plate (guide) fixed to the base. If you measure from the edge of the sole-plate to the far side of the blade and then clamp a batten at that distance from the line you want to cut, that will give you a clean cut ( assuming good blade etc )

Thanks for that!

I did have another thought about supporting the shelves.

If I get some more conti board, I could put this between the 2 x 27", so, 27", then cont board then the other 27", I can the put battern along back wall and on sides,just not sure what size, any thoughts?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back